April 16, 2015

Organic Body and Facial Products

I'm starting a new project, well, along with the writing one. Over the last 20 odd years I've spent a fortune on moisturising products. A few months ago, I made my first body butter and gave samples out to friends and family. Feedback suggested it was a nice body butter, very moisturising, good on body and even hair, but it took a while to soak into the skin.

RECIPE tip: * made of unrefined African Shea Butter, organic Coconut Oil, jojoba, vitamin E oil, sweet almond oil and a few drops of essential oils.

The process used the heat, cool and whip method.

I'm now looking at diversifying into facial moisturiser and will also try a new whipped body butter recipe that uses emulsifying wax and preservatives.

From the research, it seems that once you add water to any product, you really need a good all-round preservative (and you should probably use a preservative for non-water based recipes, too). I've discovered that many products claiming to be 'organic' contain a lot of non-organic preservatives and emulsifiers. While we need the preservatives to keep bacteria at bay, over coming months I will be searching for an organic replacement. Until then, safety first. So although it won't be 100% organic, I will use certified organic where I can find it. Research and results will be posted on here, both to keep track of progress/mistakes and help others on their journey to creating home made/organic body products.

Batch #1 First batch is an anti-aging face cream using certified helichrysum essential oil, organic carrot oil, organic frankincense essential oil, certified organic rose hip oil, rose infused water, emulsifying wax NF, Cleopatra's Choice 100% pure African shea butter and organic sweet almond oil. I'll also add a little cornstarch to help it soak in and Geoguard ultra to keep the bugs away.

I'll start cooking up in a day or two, and we'll see how it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment